We are a Roman Catholic Congregation of Priests, Brothers and Lay Associates. Our congregation was founded in Paris in 1703 by a young 24 year old Breton Lawyer, Claude Poullart des Places.
He founded a community for young men who wished to become priests and dedicated it to the Holy Spirit. In 1765 the Holy See began to entrust the congregation with the direct care of mission territories beginning with French Guiana and in 1779 the first two Spiritan Missionaries arrived in Senegal, Africa.
We Give Voice To Gospel Justice Where It Cannot Be Heard or Has Been Silenced. <more>
Our province now numbers 370; two thirds are in Ireland and one third overseas, working in 27 countries. Much emphasis is placed on how we go about our work. It is not enough to work for others, though that is necessary but more emphasises put on being close to people, on the quality of our life and presence, on solidarity, on opening up to new horizons and a greater collaboration with holders.